Monols resemble large, flat, rectangular walls made of black stone. Strangely, they can morph their surface to resemble a face, or use it as a weapon by creating spikes or tendrils. Monols excel in defense but have very poor speed because they move by gliding slowly over the earth, using their powers over gravity and electromagnetism.
It is said that a Monol is actually a Magic whose true form is hidden, and this mystery carries over in their genetics; they often create evil or dark monsters when combined. In Monster Rancher EVO, a very powerful Monol named King Monolithe is one of the level bosses that the characters must face to progress the story. He can split himself into smaller fragments, and has a large, scary face.
The name Monol is short for Monolith, based on the characters from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.
|Monster Rancher 1||Monol||"It has a very special way of reducing a foe's damage."|
|Monster Rancher 2||Monol||"It will separate into pieces to cushion against an enemy's attacks."|
|Monster Rancher EVO||King Monolithe||A non-playable Monol appears as a level boss.|
|Monster Rancher Advance 2||Monol||N/A|
|Monster Rancher DS||Monol|
|My Monster Rancher||Monol||"On the surface it looks like a large black slab, but occasionally a face emerges from it to look around. It's a very intelligent monster, though it doesn't look it from the outside."|
|Monster Rancher Battle Card 2||Monol||N/A|
|Anime Series||Monol||For the character, see Monol (Anime).|
- To obtain a Monol in Monster Rancher 1, use
- To obtain a Monol in Monster Rancher 2, use
- To obtain a Monol in Monster Rancher Advance 2, visit the Quarry in the NW corner of the Tapota Jungle. Then visit the large, flat-topped temple that is in the north central area of the map. You will find a Small Monolith. Afterward, Bolzoi will stop by your ranch and take an interest in the artifact. He'll allow you to use it in combining with any two monsters for a Monol.
- To obtain a Monol in Monster Rancher DS, you must reach Rank S and raise your monster to Class S to trigger the Four Heavenly Kings. Beat King Monolithe (Tourney on March. 1) to receive the Black Slate to use in Combining.
- To obtain a Monol in My Monster Rancher, use
- To obtain a Monol Card in Monster Rancher Battle Card 2, use
See here for a complete list of Monol Techniques.
- For more pictures and screenshots of Monol, click here.