The Raiden species are creatures that resemble humanoid birds. They are masters of the martial arts, and most of their attacks feature kicks, chops, or punches. They first appeared in Monster Rancher 3 and must be unlocked in most games that they appear in. Several Level Bosses in the series are protected by Raidens, like Shiden in Monster Rancher 4. The bird boss Mao Mao in Monster Rancher EVO also seems to like the Raidens and uses them as bodyguards for his nesting grounds in the Mao Mao Jungle.
Raidens are based on the mythological Japanese tengu, who are said to be part bird and part man. Strangely enough, most of the Raiden sub-breeds have Greek names though. The word Raiden is actually the name of the Japanese god of thunder and lightning.
|Monster Rancher 3||"This monster never misses daily training. It does not bother with small things, thinking only about ways to become stronger."|
|Monster Rancher 4||"A passionate martial artist, it is well-versed in every type of fighting skill. Its fluid, speedy blows are filled with a great destructive power!"|
|Monster Rancher EVO||"A monster with a passion for martial arts. It has mastery in many styles, and uses sudden attacks that catch enemies off guard and have immense destructiveness."|
|Monster Rancher Advance 2||N/A|
|My Monster Rancher||"A half-bird, half-human monster that is honest and hot-blooded but can be very stubborn. It seems that dolls that look like this monster are very popular with children."|
- To obtain a Raiden in Monster Rancher 3, use
- To obtain a Raiden in Monster Rancher 4, achieve Rank D. Once the Togle Caves are unlocked, explore it twice. On your second trip, you will trigger a story event on Floor 4. The next week, Pollock will come by the ranch and tell you that they are all going haywire. Return to the Caves and go all the way to Floor 5 where the giant boulder used to block the door. Beat Shiden and he'll give you the King's Feather. Use in combining with any two monsters for Raiden.
- To obtain a Raiden in Monster Rancher EVO, use
- To obtain a Raiden in Monster Rancher Advance 2, visit the Aspia Town Square at any time. A peddler will randomly appear and offer to let you battle him for a discount price on the "Nunchaku" item. Either beat him and get it for half price, or decline to fight and buy the item at full price. Combine with any two monsters for a Raiden. If you foolishly lose the item, the peddler will return later and offer them again.
- To obtain a Raiden in My Monster Rancher, use
See here for a complete list of Raiden Techniques.
- For more pictures and screenshots of Raiden, click here.